DIY this classic campfire treat with easy homemade maple marshmallows and crispy honey almond graham crackers.
For the marshmallows
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot flour
- 2 Tbsp grass fed gelatin
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the graham crackers
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 bar 85% dark chocolate, cut into 8 pieces
- To make the marshmallows: Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Sprinkle with arrowroot flour. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, lightly whisk ¼ cup of warm water with gelatin. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a small pot, combine maple syrup, vanilla extract, salt, and ¼ cup water over medium heat. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes until simmering but not fully boiling.
- Turn stand mixer to low speed to blend gelatin mixture. Slowly drizzle maple syrup mixture into gelatin mixture and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Increase speed to high and continue to beat 10-12 minutes, until very fluffy and stiff peaks form.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
- Set aside for at least 3 hours to dry.
- Remove marshmallows from pan and slice into 16 2-inch squares. Extra marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container.
- To make the graham crackers: Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt, egg, coconut oil, and honey in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 1-2 minutes, until dough forms. Transfer dough to a large bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper on a clean countertop. Transfer dough to parchment paper and top with a piece of parchment paper of equal size. Roll dough between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick.
- Discard top sheet of parchment paper. Transfer parchment with dough to a baking sheet. Bake 20-22 minutes, until golden.
- Cool graham crackers 10-15 minutes, then carefully cut into 2-inch squares (about 16). Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- To serve: Roast marshmallows over an open flame. Sandwich marshmallows and a piece of chocolate between two graham crackers and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1 s’more
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 12.4
- Sodium: 151.2
- Fat: 13.5
- Saturated Fat: 5.1
- Carbohydrates: 17.6
- Fiber: 2.9
- Protein: 5.1
- Cholesterol: 23.5